Extra Elements on Story Pages
You can (and should!) add elements beyond the featured image and the text to a story's page. Using the SNO Shortcode Builder, you can add related stories, pull quotes, side boxes, videos, infographics, audio clips, and reader polls. If you have our Sports Center, you can also add schedules, standings, and rosters to your sports stories. To add any of these elements simply follow the instructions below.
- While adding/editing a story, place your cursor in the place you’d like the element to go. Usually, it works best to press enter, giving the element it's own line in the text editing box.
- Click the SNO Add Story Element button above the text editing window.
- A pop-up window will give you all of the different options story elements, click the button for the one you are interested in adding.
- Complete the form.
- Polls: You will need to create the poll before you can add it to a story page.
- Sports Extras: These options will only exist if you have Sports Center, and will only function properly if you are keeping the Sports Center up-to-date.
- Videos and Audio Clips: You need to use a third-party video or audio file hosting service to store and serve your files. These services are built specifically for serving high quality video or audio, and their accounts are free. Start by creating an account and uploading video to a video-hosting site like YouTube, SchoolTube, or Vimeo. For Audio files, try SoundCloud. Note: Videos embedded this way will not show in the Video Category Display widget.
- Photos: If you would like to embed photos beyond the featured image, the instructions can be found here.
- Click the Insert button.
- A line of short code will now show up in your story.
- Click Update/Publish and go to view the story to see how your story page looks.
Hyperlinks within a Story
- While adding/editing a story, highlight the words you’d like to hyperlink.
- Click on the icon that looks like a little chain above the text editing window that has a hover label of “Insert/add link”.
- Copy and paste the URL (be sure to start with http://)
- Click Update.
Check out this presentation for tips on adding extra story page elements.