Uploading your Video
You need to use a third-party video hosting service to store and serve video. These services are built specifically for serving high quality video, and their accounts are free. Start by creating an account and uploading video to a video-hosting site. The following are possible options, though there are others.
Copying the Embed Code of your Video
After you have uploaded your video clip to an online video service, locate and copy the embed code for the service’s video player. Each provider will have code that looks slightly different. Here’s an example of Vimeo’s embed code: <iframe src=”http://player.vimeo.com/video/26802944?portrait=0&color=990000″ width=”400″ height=”300″ frameborder=”0″ webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
Using a Video as the Main Element on the Story Page
- On the Edit Story page, scroll down to the custom fields.
- Choose Do Not Display under the Featured Image Location
- Paste the video's embed code in the Video Embed Code box.
- If you want, add a credit for the video in the Video Credit Line.
- Choose if you want the video to appear above or beside the story by choosing the appropriate selection in the Video Location dropdown menu.
- Click Update.
Adding a Video as a Standalone Story
- Click on New under the Stories tab on the left navigation bar in the WordPress dashboard.
- Enter the Title for the article.
- If you have a story or short explanation of your video, paste that in the main text-editing window. DO NOT add your video in this window.
- Paste your video embed code in the custom field labeled Video Embed Code below the main text-editing window.
- If you want to give credit for the video, add a name in the Video Credit Line Custom Field box. If there is a staff profile for this name, this video will automatically be linked to that staff profile.
- Add a Featured Image in the bottom right corner
- Under Custom Fields choose Do not display Feature Image in the Featured Image Location dropdown menu.
- Assign this story to your Video category. NOTE: You can add a video to a story in any category, but to get a video to display on the homepage, that category must be selected in a SNO Video Category widget.
- Click Publish.
Adding a Video Category Widget to the Site
- Click on Widgets under the Appearance tab on the left navigation bar in the WordPress dashboard.
- Drag a SNO Video Category widget into one of your Widget Areas.
- Set the widget to display your Video category or any other category from which you want videos to display.
- Click Save on the widget.
NOTE: You can also paste your video embed code in a SNO Embed Widget in any of your Widget Areas. Videos added this way will not be archived by your site.
Using a Video as an Element of the Interest within the Story
- While adding/editing a story, place your cursor in the place you’d like the video to go. Usually, it works best to press enter, giving the video it’s own line in the text editing box.
- Click the SNO Add Story Element button above the text editing window.
- A pop-up window will give you all of the different options story elements, click the button for Video Embed.
- Complete the form.
- Click the Insert button.
- A line of short code will now show up in your story.
- Click Update/Publish and go to view the story to see how your story page looks.
Note: Videos added this way will not appear in the Video Category Display widgets or on the Video Page of the Multimedia Add-On even if you select the Video category for the story.